Wednesday, June 13, 2012

More Peril

Thanks for those interested in Peril for commenting. I have an idea for player weapon damage in Peril.  As is the case in most of my game I like to classify weapons and armor as Light, Medium and Heavy.  Then classes are limited to certain classes of weapons and armor--such as wizards only light weapons and light armor.

Now comes the interesting (to me) potential twist for weapon classification and damage in Peril:

Poor Class weapons (cheap, stone, or sketchy)
Light-d4, Medium 1d4+2, Heavy 2d4

Average weapons
Light d6, Medium d6+2, Heavy 2d6

Superior weapons (dwarven, elven, mastercraftsman)
Light d8, Medium d8+2, Heavy 2d8

OR...we just use the basic polyhedral value from B/X.

Please take a second and Vote for the weapons damage you prefer.

Then there is experience.  I plan on using monster HD as the XP value for slaying a beast.  Yup it will markedly slim points needed for level achievement but its a lot simpler to figure out.  Oh and gold and treasure do not give you XP, they are their own reward.

Last with each level you gain get 1 point to spend either adding +1 to an ability or spell you already have OR learning a new one.  Clean simple and insures every character is unique.




5 comments:

M. Jared Swenson said...

It's an interesting idea. The poor could be used for stuff like improvised and the average are what adventurers usually start with.

The more i think about it the more i like your proposal. But you would also have to translate the same thing to armor. Poor, average, and superior armor.

Fenway5 said...

@MJ-thanks for the feedback. Armor is a bit more of a conundrum. It could be as simple as poor: -1, average: no mod, superior +1. Or could get far more detailed but I think simple works best, a surprise I no doubt! :)

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

I like the weapons classification. I've always liked the idea of bronze vs bone vs iron vs whatever, and rating them as Poor/Average/Superior meshes well with that. Armor is a bit of a poser in this method, though, I agree. But I think you're on the right track with mods based on the rating. I'm looking forward to the finished product. Oh, and I love pocketmods.

By the way, that cover is fantastic.

Fenway5 said...

Thanks David, art is Frazetta and won;t be the actual cover--but he is the king in my book. pocket mod will be the sample test, if it works I will load up the barrels and fire away.